Thursday, August 31, 2006

Last of the Salad Days

It's nearly the end of the summer holidays, the weather is beginning to drift back into autumnal unpredictability, and I'm coming up to my hundredth post ... I can't believe I've been blogging on Raw Light for nearly a year now. Incroyable!

But at least this means I can stop nibbling on rabbit food every other meal and dig out the slow cooker for some nice thick warming stews. What a summer we had though, so blooming hot it was almost impossible to sleep some nights. And I only made it to a beach once, for one delicious hour, on a day trip down to Cornwall - all the way from the Midlands, can you credit it? - but it was worth the long drive just to listen to those waves rolling in and watch the gulls wheeling about overhead, making their mad gull noises. I'm not meant to live this far inland, even though I was born several hours' drive from the coast. It feels so unnatural, especially for a water sign, being constantly surrounded by earth and earth and yet more earth.

This is a photograph I took of my youngest daughter a year ago, on a trip to one of my spiritual homes (I have several) - the Isle of Man. Now this is what I call a beach ... known as the Ayres, a long isolated stretch of shore on the northernmost tip of the island, often deserted, about half a mile shy of the lighthouse.

2 comments:

changapeluda said...

Sweet Picture! I love her round little shadow....

I live 15 minutes from the beach and made it to the shore maybe 3 times this summer....oh well.

The last holiday weekend (Labor Day) is coming and there have been White Shark sitings at a very popular Beach here on the central coast (Avila Beach). They've put up signs and forbidden swimming. As if the sharks aren't there when no one has sighted them....

Jane Holland said...

Ahh, I can't bear the idea of swimming in waters where there might be sharks. Terrifying thought. I watched JAWS once - never again!

You know, this is a pretty sad confession, but I can actually wind myself up to the edge of hysteria in a swimming pool, because I've seen too many Bond & other similar action movies where someone lets a shark into the pool ...

I do love the sight and sound of the sea though, especially in stormy weather. It's somehow soothing and exhilarating at the same time.

But I'd never make a surfer, that's for sure.

J x