Thursday, January 22, 2009

In Bed with John Keats

I forgot to say, by the way, that the shortened version - almost an extract, really - of my radio play In Bed with John Keats was indeed broadcast on RaW last Friday, the University of Warwick radio station, and while the production was not entirely as I had envisaged it, it did leave me eager to write more radio drama.

Consequently, I've been working on the first draft of a new radio play, set slightly earlier than the Keats one, in the late eighteenth century, aboard a sailing ship of all places. It's an idea I've been playing with for a few months, though I'd originally thought of it as being a stage play.

Now, however, I can see how some great sound effects would be possible with that setting, though perhaps without much variation as the play progresses: creaking timbers, roll and lap of the waves, sails slapping against masts, etc.

I could always work a talking parrot in somewhere, I suppose.

No comments: